Saturday, August 22, 2009

Run, Run, Run



Wayne and I took the twins on a little family adventure today to a local farm. We had a nice time showing Ella the animals and imitating their noises. The rooster was especially chatty. William slept most of the time in his adapted jogging stroller which made for a smooth ride over the fields and mud. The farm is run by a local agency that operates group homes for adults with disabilities so it was completely handicap accessible with nice ramps and some paved paths. This is where I need to stop and vent. While we were strolling along one of those smooth paths I couldn't help but to overhear a mother (because she was shouting) for her girls to "stop running and walk." "Walk, walk, walk," she shouted over and over again. It is really not that uncommon for adults to be telling children to walk yet it really struck a nerve today. I literally stopped pushing William's stroller and watched the woman's three beautiful daughters laughing and running as children should be. What was the worst that would happen if the girls fell? A scrapped knee? A bloody lip?

So there we were on a beautiful day enjoying time together and the pain strikes fresh and new once again. Will my son ever be able to walk let alone run? I can hope.

I began to push my stroller again and looked ahead on the path to where my daughter was running and laughing at the sheep. She looked so beautiful and carefree in the bright sunlight. I will not be the one to tell her to stop running.

"Run, Run, Run," I say, " If they can let them Run!!!!"

3 comments:

  1. Erin, thank you for your thoughtful comment on Mother Words about Fern's book.

    This post is stunning. I really appreciate your honesty.

    A book you may be interested in: Vicki Forman's This Lovely Life. Have you read it yet?

    Best,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Erin, Once again you have impressed me with your insight into a routine situation that we would never think of. Your ability to put your thought to paper is a gift you can see I don't have. Keep writing Erin! I enjoy reading your thoughtful comments. Lov ya, Aunt Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Erin, Your blog is beautiful and insightful. You're a stong and amazing woman. Blessings to you. Jeanine :)

    ReplyDelete