Friday, July 3, 2009

Celebrating a twin bond

I will never forget the day I discovered that I was carrying twins. It is one of those amazing once in a lifetime moments that I wish I recorded on DVD. Watching two tiny fetuses floating so close together in my womb was magical . Wayne and I had joked about having twins although twins do not occur in either of our families. Wayne and I were in shock. Utter disbelief soon turned to joy as we drove home equipped with ultrasound pictures eager to spread the news. We felt that we were on top of the world. Since that special time of discovery we have gone through a range of emotions; including grief over our son's rare brain malformation.  I have enjoyed the experience of having twins despite serious lack of sleep and personal time. I celebrate the bond that my twins share despite William's disabilities. William is not able to play with Ella in a traditional sibling sense but they do have a very special "twin" bond. I love taking pictures like the one above capturing moments when they still snuggle and put their heads together as they were nestled in my womb two years ago. I hope that they will always feel an affection for each other and share a bond despite drastic differences in their physical and mental abilities. 

2 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Erin. They will always have a wonderful bond that will go deeper than words or abilities. It's going to be wonderful to watch it develop. :)

    ReplyDelete